Brenton Tarrant: New Zealand Mosque Mass Murderer Who Massacred 51 People Appeals Sentence
White supremacist Brenton Tarrant is appealing his sentence and conviction after pleading guilty to brutally massacring 51 Muslim worshippers in Christchurch during Friday prayers in 2019.
On Tuesday, New Zealand's Court of Appeal confirmed that 32-year-old Brenton Tarrant had filed the appeal last week. A date for his hearing is yet to be set.
The attack that took place three years ago was the deadliest mass shooting in the history of New Zealand, causing a major reform in the country's gun laws.
51 innocent civilians were brutally gunned down by Tarrant, with dozens more left with serious injuries, the killer also live-streamed the attack on Facebook.
In 2020, Tarrant was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole after pleading guilty to 51 counts of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder, and one count of terrorism.
Tarrant claims that he was subjected to "inhuman or degrading treatment" while being held in solitary confinement for months after the shooting, he claimed that this treatment had prevented a fair trial. He also claimed to have pleaded guilty under duress.
A survivor of the attack, Temel Atacocugu, who was shot nine times, told media outlet Stuff that Tarrant was seeking attention and playing games with his appeal, adding: "I would like to tell him: Grow up, be a man and die quietly in jail, because that is what you deserve."
New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Adern previously stated that she would not speak Tarrant's name in public, she said: "His is a story that should not be told, and his is a name that should not be repeated, and I am going to apply that same rule in commenting on his attempts to revictimise people.
"We should give him nothing."
Florida Man Slaughters Girlfriend & Her Family Including 4-Year-Old Child